Sunny

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Polar Express Written & Illustrated by: Chris Van Allsburg



The Polar Express was read to me as a young child at school during the Christmas season.  Along time before it was a movie it was one of my absolute favorite books.  I remember I even wrote a letter to the author with the help of my teacher.  As a little girl I did believe in the spirit of Christmas and I hoped The Polar Express would come pick me up and take me to see Santa!



The little boy in the book gets to take the Polar Express to the North Pole.  He is then chosen to receive the first gift of Christmas.  He asks for a silver bell from Santa's sleigh.  You feel so terrible for him when you find that he has lost the bell after he gets back on the train because of a hole in his pocket. The train drops him back home and in the morning after opening all of his gifts he finds a small box at the back of the tree.  It is his bell with a letter from Santa! The boy and his sister can hear the magical sound of the bell but his parents can't.  The last page and paragraph is my favorite part of the book and would always bring a tear to my eye.











 
"At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them.  Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound.  Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe."


Such a profound concept!  It is so important to me that my children's imaginations flourish and that the magic of their childhood lasts as long as possible.  It is only once that we are truly innocent and it should not be taken away too quickly instead it should be fostered and encouraged! Reading helps kids believe that anything is possible!  Happy reading and a Very Merry Christmas to all!


1 comment:

  1. Betfred, Betfred, Betfred, Betfred, Betfred, Betfred, Betfred, Betfred
    Betfred 전라남도 출장샵 is offering new customers 태백 출장샵 a wide range 수원 출장샵 of betting and betting 울산광역 출장안마 markets across all sports, including football, tennis, 안양 출장마사지 horse racing, cricket,

    ReplyDelete