Sunny

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

First Snow By: Emily Arnold McCully


First Snow is such a delightful read.  The illustrations are adorable and nostalgic.  The text is as simple as it comes with one word sentences adorning most pages.  This allows the illustrations to really speak for themselves and allows parents to become an active participant in the descriptions.



I really love the simplicity of this book and look forward to reading it every year to my little girls. My girls like most children can't wait for the white stuff to start piling up outside and this year they are ready to try out their own sleds!  Like the little character Bitty my girls will have to climb a steep hill and see if they too have the courage to slide down.  Will they be like Bitty and find the nerve to do it?  Will they want to do it over and over and make us drag them home?!  I can't wait to find out!  I will post pictures as a follow up of the girls sledding and I hope like Bitty they have such a magical time that when they get home they end up falling asleep in front of their hot chocolates.



The author of First Snow Emily Arnold McCully is a Caldecott Medal winner.  Here is to a brilliant read and to many snowy days this winter. 







Our first sledding adventure was some of the most fun I have ever had with my girls!  It was a really steep hill and they were both not afraid and went up and down probably 15 times!  Great winter fun just like Bitty had!




No comments:

Post a Comment