Sunny

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR By: Don and Audrey Wood Illustrated by: Don Wood

I can remember my teacher in kindergarten reading me this story.  I think it struck me as a child because it has such wonderful and vivid images.  It is a short book but one that has a lot of humor and quite a cute little tale.  In turn this became my littlest daughter Emma's favorite book for awhile and after borrowing it from the library several times I decided to buy it for her.

The story is about a mouse, a mouse who really wants to pick a "red, ripe strawberry" and as the reader you get to interact with the mouse and find out exactly what he is up to. He is warned about a big hungry bear who would be quite upset if he finds out that he picked the strawberry but the mouse goes ahead and picks it anyway.  He then tries to hide, chain, and disguise the strawberry from the "bear".  This is quite comical especially the disguise he chooses, glasses with the eyebrows, and mustache. That always gets a giggle from the girls.  He ends up frantically deciding to "Cut it in two." and sharing half of the strawberry with "you". He then gobbles up his half and ends the tale full and satisfied wearing the green top of the strawberry as a hat swinging from a hammock.  Just too funny! The funnier I find a book the more I can have a good time reading it and making it entertaining for the girls.

After rediscovering this book to read to my girls I then went to look for more books by the Wood's.  The Napping House became another book my girls loved.  It is worth getting if you are going to look for The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR.  It is also a very silly book that gets the kids laughing especially with its funny illustrations.  Audrey and Don Wood are husband and wife and have a website that lists all their books, including some fun activites.

http://www.audreywood.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment